What is a ‘Friend’ of The Island?
A friends group is a group of people who have an interest in a particular charity, organisation or other cause and who volunteer their time, skills and/or resources to support it.
‘Friends’ are individuals who would like to support The Island’s work, but cannot commit to mentoring a young person each week.
We will keep ‘friends’ updated about developments at The Island and organise a number of social gatherings during the year to acknowledge your efforts and participation.
What do ‘Friends’ do?
- Organise fund-raising events
- Help with fund- and awareness-raising activities
- Undertake sponsored challenges
- Display posters and leaflets in their local area or workplace
- Make a regular donation
- Sponsor a mentoring relationship; or
- Offer practical support such as their skills, services or expertise
How will my support help?
- By raising awareness of our work with vulnerable children and young people in York
- By raising awareness of volunteering opportunities at The Island
- By raising funds for our mentoring service
- By increasing The Island’s capacity as a charity so that we can support even more disadvantaged children and young people
If you would like to be a Friend of The Island, please fill in the application form below and return to the office.
Below are list of fund-raising resources. Click on a resource to download it to your computer.
How to organise a bucket collection
How to hold a coffee morning
How to hold a charity fun day
How to hold a charity golf day
How to hold a charity ball or dinner
How to fundraise through a sponsored trek
How to source auction or raffle prizes
How to publicise your fund raising event
Press Release Template